Marine Engr. Sajid Hussain
Brief life-sketch of SAJID HUSSAIN
SAJID HUSSAIN is serving at the helm of Bangladesh Marine Academy as its COMMANDANT since 15 October 2009. Earlier he has served the Academy during 1993–2009 as Engineer Instructor, Senior Engineer Instructor & then as the Chief Engineer (Head of Marine Engineering Department). Informatively, he is the FIRST Marine Engineer to be a Commandant of Bangladesh Marine Academy since its establishment in 1962.
He was a Minor Freedom Fighter (age 12) at Madhupur Freedom Fighters’ Camp (near the border between Naogaon of Bangladesh & West Dinajpur of India) under Sector-7 during Bangladesh liberation war in 1971.
After graduating from Bangladesh Marine Academy in 1980, he joined Bangladesh Shipping Corporation as a Cadet Engineer; served on-board BSC ocean-going ships until 1995 [last 5 years as Chief Engineer]; served Bangladesh Marine Academy as its Head of Marine Engineering Department (Chief Engineer: 1995-2009) and since then he is serving as the Commandant.
He studied in Liakat-Nazir High School [Pabna], Pabna Zilla School, Rajshahi Cadet College [SSC/HSC (3rd position)], Bangladesh Marine Academy [pre-sea Marine Engineering (2nd position)], South Tyneside College, UK [Marine Engineering] and in World Maritime University, Sweden [MSc in Maritime Safety Administration – Marine Engineering]. Additionally, he has also been awarded with a DSc in Marine Engineering (professional recognition) and a DSc in Maritime Education (Honoris Causa).
His Professional Status
- IMO Maritime Ambassador [May 2016-current]
- Member, Board of Governors of World Maritime University, Sweden [2013- current]
- Maritime Consultant, GlobalMET (Australia) [since 2007]
- Maritime Expert (as a WMU Graduate), IMO [registered since 1999]
- Chartered Engineer, Engineering Council, UK [Since 2017]
- Chartered Marine Engineer, IMarEST – London [Since 2017]
- Council Member, IMarEST – London [Since 2017]
- Member, Professional Affairs & Education Committee (PAEC), IMarEST [Since 2017]
- Corresponding Trustee, Guild of Benevolence, IMarEST [Since 2018]
- Member, Human Element Working Group (HEWG), IMarEST [Since 2018]
- Member, Technical Leadership Board (TLB), IMarEST [Since 2018]
- Chartered Marine Technologist, IMarEST – London [2007-2017]
- Fellow, IMarEST – London [Since 2007]
- Council Member, IMarEST – London [2006-2007]
- Member, Professional Affairs & Education Committee (PAEC), IMarEST [2007-2010]
- Chairman, IMarEST (London), Bangladesh Branch (2010-2012)
- Incorporated Engineer, Engineering Council, UK [2004-2006]
- Associate, Precious Alliance (UK) – Research associate of BIMCO [Since 2007]
- Founding Project Director, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Maritime University [2010-12]
- Member of Senate, Syndicate, Council & Finance Committee of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Maritime University [2013-current]
- Project Co-ordinator, “Capacity building to strengthen delivery of maritime education in Bangladesh” with Australian Maritime College (University of Tasmania), Australia [2011-13]
- Project Co-ordinator, Integrated Simulator Centre Project & Training Ship Project [2016-18]
- Co-ordinator, Cadets’ Employment with IMEC (Int’l Maritime Employers Commission – London)
- Lead Consultant, Maritime Labour Convention Ratification Project, ILO Dhaka [2011-12]
- Ex-Vice-Chairman, Industrial Skills Committee (Transport), ILO Dhaka [2008-09]
- President, Friends of WMU (Sweden) Bangladesh 
- Panel Member of 3-Members’ Panel of WMU Alumni Regional Conference in Myanmar [Jan 2015]
- Vice President, ORCA Homes, Chittagong, Bangladesh
- Chief Advisor, Tri-Taranga Recitation Club, Chittagong, Bangladesh
He was Captain of Pabna Zilla School Cubs (1969-1972), Asst. House Leader & Commander of Colour & Banner Party at Rajshahi Cadet College (1978), Chief Cadet Captain at Bangladesh Marine Academy and was the elected President of the Asia-Pacific Students Forum (21 countries) & Class Representative at World Maritime University in 1998.
His publications include his MSc Thesis (A proposal for establishment of a Maritime University in Bangladesh: published by WMU Sweden in 1998 and later in Germany in 2010), 22 technical/research papers, 19 books and around 250+ features/articles on shipping, sea-life, IT, science & technology and science-fiction.
He has achieved the IMarEST Branch Award 2007-08 for his research paper titled “Vision of e-Learning and its application into Maritime Education and Training” and the “IMarEST President’s Commendation” in 2012.
Sajid Hussain and his wife Ms. Meher Nigar are parents of 1 son & 2 daughters. The son is an Architect, elder daughter has just graduated with Bachelor in Computer Science & Engineering at East Delta University at Chittagong and the younger one is studying BBA at Chattogram Independent University at Chittagong.
His father was Late Al-Haj Adv. Amzad Hussain [Ex-MP (1973 Parliament) & a Freedom Fighter of Sector-7] and Mother was Late Al-Haj Prof. Jannatul Ferdous [Ex-MP (1996 Parliament) & a Freedom Fighter of Sector-7].
MarEngr. Sajid Hussain DSc MSc CEng CMarEng FIMarEST
IMO Maritime Ambassador
Governor, Board of Governors, World Maritime University, Sweden
Council Member, IMarEST London
Maritime Expert (IMO & GlobalMET)