Kutubdia Island is the coastal area of Bangladesh. It stands in the belly of Bay of Bengal. This Island is the off coast near Chakaria and Cox’s Bazar of Bangladesh. Total island is covered by 215.8 square kilometers of lands. This is one of the oldest island of Bangladesh. Because of that since 1917 there had been made a police station at kutubdia for its protection and also for the security of the local peoples of the island.
Kutubdia Lighthouses (Akbar Shah, Kutubdia Island) station established 1846. Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. Approx. 35 m (115 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. The top of the tower carries a red and white horizontally slatted daymark. The photo at right, published by a local newspaper, is believed to be by the Chittagong Port Authority. The lighthouse appears to be a twin of the St. Martin’s Island lighthouse.
The Admiralty first listed it in a Notice to Mariners in February 2005. The original masonry lighthouse had a height of about 34 m (111 ft) and a focal plane of 37 m (121 ft). It has gone to sea due to beach erosion, and some sources report that a portion of it remains visible at low tide. Kutubdia is an island about 30 km (19 mi) long, located just off the coast about 50 km (30 mi) south of Chittagong. It is fairly densely populated, with a permanent population of about 90,000. The lighthouse is located on the northwestern coast of the island. Site probably open, tower closed. Operator: Bangladesh Department of Shipping. ARLHS BAN-004; Admiralty F1054; NGA 26760.